Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Another Year, Another Max (Wild Things at the Coney Island Mermaid Parade)

Last month at the Coney Island Mermaid Parade, I spotted a guy with a really cool Where the Wild Things Are tattoo.

I remembered meeting a guy 2 years earlier at the same parade, but I knew that this tattoo was better than the one I had featured two years ago.

When I asked the guy about it and he said his name was Max, I knew I had erred. It was the same guy, same tattoo, only with more detail.

This was the tattoo in 2012:


So when I sat down to write this post, and I pulled the old photo off of the 2012 post, I had a realization. Look at the tattoo I photographed last month:


Guess what, folks. Not the same tattoo. Two years apart, I run into two guys named Max at the Mermaid Parade, each with Maurice Sendak tattoos depicting the characters from Where the Wild Things Are. What are the odds? 2014 Max had more in his tattoo:


The artist for this newer (frankly better) Where the Wild Things Are tattoo is Luke LoPorto from Timmy Tattoo in Huntington, New York.

So, the moral of the story is, if you meet a guy named Max, and he has a Where the Wild Things Are tattoo, don't assume you've met him before. He may be a different Max.

Thanks to the 2014 Max (and the 2012 Max, as well) for sharing his awesome tattoo with us here on Tattoosday!

UPDATE: Several weeks after this posted, artist Luke LoPorto shared the finished product. See it here.

This entry is ©2014 Tattoosday.

If you are seeing this on another website other than Tattoosday, without attribution, please note that it has been copied without the author's permission and is in violation of copyright laws. Please feel free to visit http://tattoosday.blogspot.com and read our original content. Please let me know if you saw this elsewhere so I contact the webmaster of the offending site and advise them of this violation in their Terms of Use Agreement.

No comments: